Saturday, August 27, 2011

Interview with Chris McFarland

Chris McFarland was the 18th round pick for the Brewers. SB stands for Sam Bornstein, and CM stands for Chris McFarland.


SB- Has it always been your dream to play in the MLB?

CM- I remember watching a professional MLB game on TV when I was about 5 years old and I knew that was what I wanted to do, no one in my family ever played baseball but I asked my mom to sign my brother and I up. So I started playing when i was 6, was pretty good, and its been my goal since then.

SB- At what point did you realize you were going to pursue a career in baseball?

CM- When I turned 13 I started playing in Dallas and later in Houston to play against better competition, Lufkin has a number of great players but I wanted to play against kids from other areas and also to get more exposure.

SB- What is it like growing up as a young baseball player in the south?

CM- It's great playing in the south, you have to deal with the heat but you can pretty much play year round and that helps you get so much better and the competition is always high.

SB- Was there something that made you lean towards signing with the Brewers instead of attendings Rice?

CM- Just the chance to pursue my dream, I've heard about every opinion from many people on what I should or shouldn't do. But there's no telling what could have happened in three years if I went to school for the opportunity again.

SB- What was it like being drafted by the Brewers this year?

CM- Definitely a moment I'll never forget getting my name called, and I'm excited to get picked by a great organization.

SB- Have you had a chance to make it up to Milwaukee since you were drafted?

CM- No, I haven't. I've never been to Wisconsin at all.

SB- Most right-handed batters prefer left-handed pitchers. Do you?

CM- I actually prefer right-handed pitchers, the ball is a little more easier to pick up, lefties have a little more movement.

SB- Scouting reports have you playing shortstop and outfield. Which is your primary, and which do you prefer?

CM- I've played short pretty much my whole life and that's where I'm most comfortable. I haven't had much experience in the outfield, but I like playing center field. I don't mind where I play on the field as long as I'm playing.

SB- What is the best advice you've been given along the way?

CM- Making adjustments is what is going to get you to the next level, you always have something to get better at and also relax and have fun and remember baseball is a game.

No comments:

Post a Comment